Wednesday, January 19, 2011

OH NO!!! Crayons and heat

While doing laundry the other day my husband started folding the clothes..... low and behold he was taken away while pulling one of his cream work shirts out of the basket and a nice bright green stain was down the front of it.  He at first thought he split some chemicals on it at work and didn't notice at first. Well wrong he was, each and very piece of white and cream clothing was covered in green streaks and stains.  In the bottom of that endless load of laundry was the wrapped to yes a GREEN CRAYON.  We were both horrified to see all these "good" clothes destroyed. 

Once calming down I good to my great buddy, the Internet and did some research on different ways to get crayon out of clothes.  Now with living in a small town, alot of these recipes are out of my reach.  But I found one and so far it has helped with some of the clothing.  I haven't tried it on some of the delicate materials... I am still waiting to see if this load comes out good or not.

So here is the best concoction I found that I also have around the house:

What you need:
  • Bleach for colored clothing
  • Car part lubricant
  • Paper towels
  • Liquid dish washing detergent
  • Laundry detergent

Steps to work out that nasty crayon:
  1. Examine all articles of clothing from the offending batch of laundry. You will want to remove the crayon from all pieces of clothing at one time. It's going to be tedious and time consuming, but it's definitely a process worth going through
  2. Lay the stained area of clothing on several paper towels. Four or five paper towels should do the trick. Try not to have any layers of material under the stain or you may end up with more mess than you bargained for.
  3. Spray the stains with a car part lubricant. Let it sit for a few minutes. Flip the clothing over and spray on the opposite side. Let the fabric sit for a few minutes more.
  4. Pour a little liquid dish washing detergent onto the stained area. Gently rub the detergent into the stain. The wax will work it's way onto the paper towels. Replace the towels as needed. Continue to work detergent into the stain until all of the crayon is removed.
  5. Wash the clothing with laundry detergent and color-safe bleach. Use a hot water cycle for 15 minutes or on the heavy load option. Rinse the clothing in warm water.
  6. Verify that the stain(s) have been completely removed. If there's still crayon residue on the clothing, repeat steps above.
  7. Clean the drum of your dryer before drying any more clothing in it. If you fail to clean the drum, you'll likely end up with crayon marks on your clothing again. After cleaning the dryer, dry your garments as usual.
OK so now I have learned 2 things here.  One is that car lubricant works well on alot of things, not just the car.  It hasn't been the first time I have used it!!!  Second is that I MUST ALWAYS, ALWAYS, check the darn pockets of clothing.  I can't really just blame my son on this one, it is also my fault for not doing laundry correctly, by skipping that step.  Now I have 10 times the work to do.  Yeppers 10 things need a good scrubbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment