Here are some of the crafts that lead us up to the big Irish Day.
We colored numerous St. Patty Day pictures:
Page can be found at Parenting Leehansen.com
Page can be found at Craft Elf
Page can be found at dulemba.blogspot.com
Tie-died Coffee Filter Shamrocks
This craft came from Kaboose website, I just changed a few things to make it easier for the younger ones.
- coffee filters
- green markers
- Small dish of water
- Have the children color all over the coffee filter with the green makers. (Don't worry about designs or anything fancy, just let them scribble for once!)
- After they have colored the filters dip your Q-tip in the water
- Then on to the colored filters
- Now watch the magic happen...... the water makes the coloring run and forms fancy designs of its own
- Set filters to the side to dry
- Once dry cut the filters into the shape of shamrocks and hang up for decorations!
I found some cute little wooden boxes at the Dollar store and thought that they would make great little treasure chests for the children.
What you need:
- Small boxes (doesn't have to be wooden ones they could be cardboard too)
- Green paint
- Paint Brushes
- Gems (we used little jewels, that I found at the Dollar Store)
- little rocks
How we made our treasure chests:
- Paint the boxes green
- Let dry
- Glue the little gems on to the box
- Let dry
- Now your little ones have their very own special box to keep whatever they like to in it
A Treasure Hunt
While the children were painting there Treasure Boxes, I headed to the living room for a bit and started hiding some St Patrick's Day goodies. Also at the Dollar Store, I found some green coins and shinny shamrocks... I picked them up just because I knew the children would love them. So I thought for a while on what we could do with these fun little items. That's when I came up with the idea for the treasure hunt to go along with our sparkly boxes. With having younger children, I decided not to hide our treasure in any place all to hard for them to find. They were all located in plain sight for them to find, yet they still had to look for them. Once they found them they were able to put their treasures in their own boxes to keep and take home.
Remember to check out Ducky's Photos for more amazing pictures of the children having fun.