Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A rainbow and snack

Our St. Patrick's Day craft started today with a snack and craft in one.

We made rainbows out of Fruit Loops and Cheerios. First I had the children sort the Fruit Loops by color and of course they were eating just as many as they were putting in the dishes!  This was great because we were able to do a number of activities and learning experiences at once. 
  • Snack
  • Learning colors (for those that don't know their colors yet)
  • Sorting/math skills
While the children finished sorting the colored Fruit Loops, I was making the outline of the rainbow.  I wasn't able to find one that I liked from the Internet so I decided to do it myself.  I imagine if I took some more time I would have found one, but instead I just drew two clouds at the bottom of each paper and connected them with one big loop for the starting of the rainbow.



What you need:

  • Heavy paper (card stock) in the colour you choose
  • Glue
  • Fruit Loops
  • Cheerios
  • Template of a rainbow


Directions:

  1. Have the children place glue along the top row of the rainbow and place the red fruit loops long it
  2. Continue the first step until you reach the final color (each row will get smaller and smaller)
  3. Place glue inside the cloud and use the cheerios for this







Colors of the Rainbow in order:

  1. Red
  2. Orange
  3. Yellow
  4. Green
  5. Blue
  6. Indigo
  7. Violet (Purple)

Of course we skipped the indigo cause Fruit Loops don't come in that color!!!!





Other ideas: 

Instead of fruit loops you could use
  • beads
  • buttons
  • tissue paper
  • colored pasta
  • colored rice

Instead of the cheerios you could use
  • cotton balls
  • white tissue paper
  • rice
  • pasta
  • white buttons
  • white beads
Remember to check out Ducky's Photos for more pictures of today's craft

No comments:

Post a Comment